Pages

16 July 2011

Labor and Delivery

Now that Charlie has come home and is doing great I finally feel like I can take a deep breath and tell you all about the labor and delivery.  There isn't much to say, but think I should just put it out there for those who want to know.

Saturday the 25th of June was my due date, but yet Charlie wasn't coming, consequently Charles and I went to our ward activity up the canyon and I went on the zip line.  It was lots of fun.






Wednesday the 29th of June I had my doctors appointment.  While there they did the usual checks of things.  They found that I had higher than normal blood pressure and protein in the urine.  My doctor decided that it would be best to induce me.  So I called Charles and told him the big news.  We had our last meal with friends at Sam Hawk, a Korean place that I absolutely love.  I reported to the hospital at 6pm.

(This next part might be too much info for some, if so, you can just scan it)

At the hospital they tried to start labor and dilate me with a pill in my cervix.  They gave it to me three times, it started a few contractions, just enough to need a little bit of drugs in my IV, but did nothing to dilate me from a 2.  At 6am on Thursday the 30th of June my doctor decided that it would be best to break my water and give me pitocin.  Unfortunately when they gave me the pitocin in my IV, my IV got moved and it only went into my skin.  Breaking my water definitely got the contractions started.  I got a great IV that did wonders and wore off quite quickly after the baby was born.  At 11am I started pushing.  I pushed for two hours!  Charlie had to finally be vacuumed out by the doctor.  I had an episiotomy which was quite needed.  Charlie had quite a cone head when he was born, but it looks so pretty now.  I was able to hold him twice for about a minute or two each time before he was whisked away to the NICU because his breathing wasn't doing so well.

Well I think that is it, I believe that the rest of his story is in another post.  Here are some new photos of Charlie from Friday after his surgery from Thursday.  He has quite a few less tubes in these photos.  You can see how big his cut was down his chest.  He will have a wicked, awesome scar when he is older.





Oh, we had an awesome rain storm the other day.  I don't know if you can tell, but the rain is up over the curb and covering our lawn and sidewalk.  The storm drains were clogged and the water backed up to almost a foot in some places.


No comments: