Pages

11 February 2014

Charlie's Little School

I started a little school for Charlie while Henry is asleep in his nap.  I did a bit of research on learning styles and how to teach little kids and have just been observing Charlie to see what he wants to learn and how he learns.  Some of the subjects covered are only supposed to be a general introduction into the concept and not a huge lesson or anything.  I have my box of materials that contains everything.

We set up school in the kitchen.  We pushed our table up against a wall so we have more room.  I have a flannel board up with the days of the week (I know he can't read, but it has helped him learn that each day is different and we only go to church once a week and he can't go every day like he wants to); earth, season, and weather; and calendar of events for the day.  Each day we then add a letter, shape, and color.  We do an art project each day that correlates with one or more things that he learned.

On the other wall we have a world map (hand drawn by me on the back of wrapping paper) where we learn about climates and animals.  We started with the dessert where it is hot and learn about one new animal each day.  Below the map we post a new photo of family each day.

I wanted to see what our school looked like from a third person perspective so that I could help critique myself.   I videoed Friday so Charlie was kind of in a routine of things.  You don't have to watch this, it is kind of long, I figured that Grandparents would be the only ones really interested in watching any part of it.  But if you do watch it I would love recommendations for improving my teaching techniques.
Charles came home for lunch so I stopped recording, but Charlie wanted to continue so we did.

1 comment:

Jessica Marie Hobbs said...

Oh my gosh Annette! You are amazing!!!!! Such an amazing mother! I miss your face!