Pages

18 August 2009

Three Weddings and a Funeral

Annette's Comments:

Last weekend, Charles and I attended three weddings on Saturday for six of his friends that were all getting hitched to each other. It was a fun adventure to make it from one to another without getting rained on.

My cousin, Brent Meservy was in Utah County for scouts an
d their group was leaving, but his family was coming up to Utah. So Brent stayed at our house for Thursday and Friday night. He came with us to the weddings and on Saturday went to a garage sale with us that he had spotted.

On Sunday evening was my Great Grandmother Sylvia Tingey's viewing and Monday was her funeral. It was so wonderful to know that she no longer felt the ailments of her mortal body and has been reunited with all of her family that has gone before her. She was such a wonderful woman whom we all look up to.

The luncheon after the burial was at the church Sylvia attended. In the bishop's office there was a board of all past bishops. Among them was her husband's father and her husband Bill. And here are photos I took of them on the board.




Here is a photo of Charles and I there at the gravesite.


And here is a photo of my P.D.A. mother and her boyfriend (who should be more).


Charles' Comments:

Sylvia Tingey led a wonderful life and we had a glorious funeral for her. Elder Oaks quoted President McKay (I think) when he said that a funeral has three purposes. The first purpose is to honor the passing of a useful life. The second purpose is to comfort the bereaved. The third purpose is to instruct the saints in the gospel. That was paraphrased of course, but truly all three of those purposes were accomplished. The purpose that I would like to talk about for a minute is the first purpose--to honor the passing of a useful life.

In all of the talks, Sylvia was praised for having a cheerful countenance, not wasting time, being an extremely hard worker, reading to and serving her husband and family, doing genealogy, learning computers at a late age, and much much more. Throughout the funeral, every time they said something new and nice about Sylvia, I couldn't help but think about Annette. When I was dating Annette, I didn't just see immediate happiness. I could tell that Annette was the kind of person that could leave a legacy. I could see Annette being showered with accolades like Sylvia was. She is selfless, fun, energetic and spiritual. I had a long term vision of the kind of life that Annette was capable of living. I know that technically Annette is genetically only 1/16th similar to Sylvia, but I think that spiritually and in other ways she is much more similar.

No comments: