Pages

30 January 2014

Baby Girl's Area

This little baby girl came at the right time.  I have time and material to make her a cute little area just for herself.  Once she is out of our room she will be in the boy's bedroom.  She will have a quarter of the room, the boys will have a half, and my craft things will have a quarter.  It is a fairly good sized room.

I am not into the color pink.  I never have been.  I will say that I do like a soft pink or a dark pink, and not as the main color.  My mom bought me this super cute blanket hanging on the side of the bed and so I based things kind of around that.  So here is the little girl's area of the room.

I made a slip cover with white ribbon ties for the boys' blue bumpers.  I added a bow on the bear.  The bed sheet is from the boys.  I had two light cream sheets that I used as back up sheets.  I made the crib skirt from a dark pink fabric.  I hardly did anything to the fabric besides cut it and sew the bottom edge with a detail white thread.  I used thumb tacks to attach it to the base of the crib.

On her dresser (entertainment center that we got at a garage sale over 4 years ago) I made these cute little fabric covered boards.  I figure that they will be a decoration that the kids can't reach or break and won't get in the way.  I added boys to the rabbit and dog.  All of the stuffed animals are mostly for cuteness affect and probably won't stick around for long.  The dresser has glass in the doors and so I added dark pink fabric and lace to the inside to make it more cute.

Charlie wanted to help me set things up on top of the dresser while I was trying to take photos.  He has his undies on backwards, hence the massive wedgie.

I looked up on Houzz.com (my favorite interior decorating website) how to take good photos of homes.  I read everything that I could get my hands on.  I spent time trying to stage the photos with the stuffed animals and all of their matching bows.  The sheepskin from Israel.  And the rocking horse.  I spent quite a few days trying to get some pro looking photos, but there were two tragic flaws.  My camera's f-stop wouldn't go up to f16, only f7.  Since we are far north of the equator in the winter the sun is constantly shining through the window so there is too much direct light coming through the drapes (drapes are floor length, curtains are not floor length).

I did finally break down and take some photos with artificial indoor light in the evening so that I could catch the drapes.  You can see that there is no actual curtain rod.  I push pinned the drapes directly to the wall.  I actually didn't even do any finishing touches on the curtains.  I left all of the edges bare.  I don't plan on having the fabric be drapes forever and figured that it looked good enough just like it was.  The lace part was actually from the kitchen back doors in the house when we bought it.

1 comment:

Nathan and Colleen said...

Your baby girl space looks so cute. Is the crib bumper a tan color? I can't tell from the pictures. You're totally nesting, I love it.
C
PS. Charlie's wedgie is epic.