Pages

04 October 2011

Charlie's New Heart Problem



Charlie had a doctor's appointment today with the cardiologist to check up on his hear.  Below are the notes that Jan (my mother-in-law) took about Charlie's new heart problem.  His prognosis isn't the best in the world.  There is hope.  I am just thankful that I know that our family is forever and that Charlie will always be my little guy.  I know that no matter what happens that the Lord is orchastrating everything.

I will be getting a phone call from the doctor on Thursday telling me when the next step to helping Charlie will be.


Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The following is what we understand from Charlie’s doctor’s appointment today:

It was determined that he has pulmonary hypertension and that the right side of his heart is bigger and thicker than the other side.  The pressure is high in his lungs, which makes his heart work too hard (or something).  He has a flow gradient of 4, and normal is 1 (we don’t know what that means, but we’re including it in case somebody does understand that).  All of this is indicative of the fact that there is an obstruction (or narrowing) somewhere. 

If the obstruction is in his pulmonary vein, there will be nothing they can really do to fix it, and his condition will deteriorate.  A heart transplant is an option in this case but the likelihood of getting a newborn heart is not high.  If they could get one, that surgery would be somewhere else like in Boston or L.A.

If the obstruction is somewhere else (perhaps in an artery—or elsewhere?) nearby, there are medications they can try that could help that situation.  It is even possible that after being on a medication for a few years, the condition would resolve itself. 

The doctor is attending a cath clinic tomorrow (Wednesday) at Primary Children’s Medical Center.  This is a meeting in which all of the cardio people and echo people at the hospital get together and discuss patients’ problems and prioritize their care.  After the doctor talks to that group, he is going to schedule a cardiac cath test at Primary Children’s in which they will send a catheter or some other kind of monitoring equipment through the arteries in his groin up to his heart to try to discover where the obstruction is. 

It appears that the part of Charlie’s heart that had surgery on it before is looking alright.  There seems to be a bit of narrowing but nothing dangerous.  That problem has not caused this one.  It just seems to be that there was more than one heart problem.

9 comments:

ericrachandfam said...

Our prayers are with you guys.

BJ said...

We are really sorry to hear this. I hope they can figure it all out and help the little guy out.

Mustang Suzie said...

Charles and Annette--Charlie is an adorable little guy. We send our love and prayers and hope that he will have the best outcome.

rochelle said...

Oh, I am sad to hear this is going on. We will definitely keep little Charlie in our prayers. I am not a doctor but I can tell you that the right side of the heart is the side that pumps blood to the lungs, so with pulmonary hypertension (high blood pressure in the lungs), the right side of the heart is having to work harder to get the blood through the higher pressure area. Also, I believe that flow gradients are measured by taking the difference between blood pressures in different areas of the same vessel- i.e. the pulmonary vein. If the pressures are similar, then the difference is small, but if the pressure is low or normal on one side, and high on the other side (i.e. on the other side of a narrowing) then the difference between those two pressures will be higher. I hope that makes sense- at least that is how I understand it.
We'll pray for Charlie and for the doctor's wisdom tomorrow in his meeting.

Kimberly said...

Annette, Charles and Charlie,

You are all in our prayers. I am so sorry to hear that this trial is still a part of your life. I too pray that everything will resolve itself and that obstruction is somewhere else. He is so sweet and adorable. You make a beautiful family. Much love during this time and I hope you feel much peace in your life so that you can put aside some of the stress and focus on the joy which Charlie brings and also some of the other excitement with the new house, new job and such. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I do know an amazing little bakery just down the hill from Primary's that I can bring you food on any long days there. I would be more than happy to do that and more.

Love always,
Kimberly Bourne and Family

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry hear about this Annie and my family will keep your family in our prayers. Miracles happen every day and I have no doubt that the Lord will be with you guys every step of the way on this journey of yours. Please let me know if you guys need anything. I'd be happy to help where I can!

Myrna said...

Dear 3 Freds,

Tears in my eyes for your little family. You are very much loved, and I so admire the attitude you are taking to this difficult situation. I really hope that the doctor comes back from his meeting with some good ideas.

So happy to know about Charles' job, the new house, and graduation approaching for Annette.

Annette, if you have Charlie on campus with you, we in the MAD Library would love to see him!

Love from Myrna

Nancy said...

Oh, dear—I will keep you guys in my prayers as well. And, really, you're welcome to drop Charlie off over here if you need to as well! :)

Rachel Judd Cowley said...

You know you've got our prayers and fasting. Love you all.