Pages

17 October 2016

Charles' Cake

I made Charles a birthday cake.  Yes, I know I am supposed to do this every year, but this year I really made a real cake.  This will probably be the first and last time that I make a really cool cake.  Here was the grueling process.

I tried making white cake.  The first one was flat and heavy.

The second was too light and sunk.

After calling Jan for help she suggested using a box cake.  It was BEAUTIFUL!

I made delicious frosting and frosted the four layer cake.

I made a beautiful mirror glaze using gelatin, white chocolate, and sweetened condensed milk.

I glazed the cake and froze it.  The glaze wasn't as thick as it should have been unfortunately.

Previously I had made tons of sugar crystals with the help of mom.  And made some piping gel.

I chopped out a section of the cake and used the piping gel to add the rock candy.  The piping gel cooled quickly against a frozen cake and I had to work quickly and keep reheating the gel.

I ended up putting too much decor on the cake; oh well.  It was fun though!



No comments: