Pages

26 May 2016

Eye Patch for Henry

Henry needs to start wearing an eye patch for 2-3 hours every day for the next three months to help strengthen his eye with a higher prescription level.  As we came home from the ophthalmologist we bought a pirate eye patch so that he could begin that day.  It was good, but it didn't fit under his glasses, so it was too easy for him to lift it and it would also get knocked around.  

When we got home I looked at eye patch prices around and wasn't super happy.  I then looked at Pinterest tutorials that were good, but more complex than I wanted to do.  I found a much better way to make simple, utilitarian, non-cutie eye patch for Henry.

I looked through my pile of extra clothing that was available for sewing.  I found one of Charles' socks that he didn't wear.  It was super long!  I was actually able to make four eye patches out of the one sock.  I wanted a lot of eye patches for when they get lost.  I also put them in different areas, like in my purse if we are out all day and need to do the patch.

I traced his glasses, including a bit of the side of the glasses.


After cutting it out I made a slightly wider template and with more of a curve on the side of the glasses.

I put it along the edge of the sock and cut.

It wasn't exact which is totally okay since it is stretchy.

Sew along the bottom.  I had to remember not to sew it completely around, but to leave the side open for the glasses to get through it.

Here it is all finished!

I turned it right side out.

Here are the four eye patches that I made.  You can tell which ones I did first because they don't look so good, but they will all work in a pinch.

Henry was not interested in standing nicely for the photo with his new eye patch.

It was super simple and easy to make.

No comments: